How to Power Through a Blogging Slump

Recently, I got into a bit of a slump.

While trying to balance college, a new internship, writing for two blogs, and everything else in between, coming up with fresh content simply became too much for me. As I started these new opportunities, Indoor Sojourner started to fall by the wayside. Because I didn't want to become overloaded, so I went on a two week hiatus (which unofficially lasted for about a month) to get back on track.

Indoor Sojourner is one of the few projects in my life that I have some measure of control over, so naturally it was the first thing I needed to cut out in order to get more organized. If I hadn't caught myself slipping and taken a break, I probably would have pushed myself too hard to write more posts and the result would not have been pretty. I'm sure there are a lot of jugglers out there who can handle dozens of projects at once, but as for me, my brain starts to react like this if I get overwhelmed:



But enough about me; here are a few tips that will help you if you're

Take a Break

Similar to my post on reading slumps, sometimes getting away from the computer and finding inspiration elsewhere is for the best. You don't have to go on total posting hiatus like I did, but if you're doing it as a hobby, don't be afraid to break your schedule and take a break from the blogging world a day or two. However, if you blog for a company and have a strict schedule to keep, you might want to continue researching and looking for inspiration until you get past your slump.

Browse Other Blogs for Inspiration

If you're taking a break from your own blog, that doesn't mean that you should avoid looking at other people's posts too. Browsing other blogs can give you a boost of creativity and help you notice what you need to improve on your blog; just be sure you aren't blatantly copying another blogger's posts or designs.

Remember Your Roots

If you're a book blogger, focus on reading; If you're a beauty blogger, browse around your favorite cosmetics store for new products. Sometimes bloggers get so focused on putting new content out that we forget what we love about it in the first place.

Talk to Other Bloggers

Communities like Twitter and Bloglovin' are great places to discover new bloggers and cultivate relationships with them. If you're struggling to find ideas for posts, talking to someone with a different perspective can give you some insight on what's keeping you behind and how you can get past it.

Don't Pressure Yourself

This is the most important step in getting back on track. It's great to find inspiration through other bloggers, but sometimes it can be a little overwhelming then they're making post after post every day while you're struggling to come up with enough content for just one. If you feel like posting once a week or every other week works best for you, then go for it. Going with the "quantity over quality" approach will only stress you out and suck the fun out of blogging.


I hope these tips helped you in your blogging journey. If you need any additional help, you can always contact me via email or social media!

Thanks for reading,

Annie
Indoor Sojourner