Why Monthly TBRs Are My Downfall

Like many readers and book bloggers, I planned out my July TBR at the beginning of the month. At the time, I felt like I was being productive by taking a few of the books from my overall TBR list and publicly declaring my goal of completing them by the end of this month. However, I've realized in the past few weeks that a monthly TBR only makes me me feel stressed and takes away some of the fun in reading for two main reasons.

1. Limitations

If I make a TBR list, I feel like I can't read anything else for the entire month. If I discover a new book that really interests me, then I feel guilty to read it because I'm essentially pushing away the list that I spent time and effort compiling.

2. Lofty Goals

Usually, I put a few too many books in my TBR knowing all too well that I probably won't get to them. This doesn't seem like a bad thing because it challenges me to read more books, but that's thing; my TBR lists have been about quantity over quality, which ultimately makes me feel overwhelmed and lose motivation.


In the future, I might bring back a monthly list in the form of a TBR jar, but for now, I won't post any more monthly TBRs on Indoor Sojourner.

That being said, I'll continue to post monthly wrap ups to provide a summary of what I've read, but I feel like monthly TBRs aren't productive for me if I don't follow them properly.


Do any of you guys have the same problem? Let me know in the comments!


Thanks for reading,

Annie
Indoor Sojourner
Twitter · Instagram · Goodreads · Pinterest