Six Reasons Why I Love my Kindle



When it comes to e-readers vs. print books, a lot of readers are pretty divided; some swear by their Kindles while others treasure their shelves full of books.

While I like to have hard copies of my favorite books, I'm a devoted Kindle user. I don't have a problem with printed books, but I think Kindles have a lot of benefits that are worth looking into for anyone who may be interested.

Before I get started, I'd like to mention that I'm an Amazon affiliate and will get commissions for purchases made through the Amazon links in this post. However, all of the opinions mentioned in this post are 100% honest; my main goal is to express why Kindle books work for me in hopes that they'll work for you too!


1. You Can Download Books Instantly

This is probably my favorite thing about having a Kindle. At the press of a button, I can download whatever book I want without having to take the time to go to a bookstore or wait days for my books to come in the mail.


2. It's Perfect for Travelling

If I'm going on a trip, I'll occasionally take one or two print books with me, but usually, I'm perfectly fine with only bringing my Kindle. It's so much easier to carry, especially if I'm trudging around an airport for hours.

3. All of my Books Are in One Place

Unless I were to lose my Kindle itself, it's impossible for me to misplace my books. Since they can get a bit disorganized at times, I also like to put them in collections based on series, genre, author, etc.

3. They're Easy to Hold



If I want to hold a typical paperback in one hand, there's basically no comfortable way to do it. With a Kindle, I don't have to worry about floppy pages and a spine getting in the way.

4. They're Easy to Read

The font type and size can be easily changed on the Kindle, and on the app, you can change the background color between black, white, or sepia. They may seem like little things, but these subtle changes can makes the reading experience much easier. There's even evidence that e-readers in general can make reading easier for people with dyslexia.  

5. Kindle Books are Cheaper than Paper Ones

There are lots of books in the Kindle store that are extremely cheap or even free. Even when they're not on sale, most books are around $9-$10, which is up to half the price of a typical hardcover!

Bonus: You can read books from the Kindle store without having a Kindle!

If you're thinking about buying a Kindle but are unsure about taking the plunge, the free Kindle app is available on the App Store, Google Play, Windows Store and Mac App Store.

However, if you think you're ready, you can buy a Kindle on Amazon for as low as $79.

With all of this in mind, you don't have to read all of your books exclusively on your Kindle; some books work better with the Kindle format than others.

Books Ideal for Print

Any book that has maps, pictures, glossaries, or other pictures work better in print. Some examples include:

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Ruin and Rising (The Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh Bardugo

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Heir of Fire by S.J. Maas
I had no idea this series even had a map until I did my Heir of Fire review, which is silly, since it's a high fantasy series. XD

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
Similarly, I didn't even realize there was a whole guide on Allomacy at the end of these books until I finished the first one.

Popular: How a Geek in Pearls Discovered the Secret to Confidence by Maya Van Wagenen
This one's kind of a wild card out of the previous books, but it has a lot of cute pictures taken from Maya's journey to popularity!


Long story short, if you're interested in a book that's similar to these, I would suggest getting it in print. Otherwise, the format would likely be perfectly fine for a Kindle.


What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you read print books or Kindle books more often? Let me know in the comments!


Thanks for reading,

Annie
Indoor Sojourner
Twitter · Instagram · Goodreads · Pinterest · Bloglovin'

8 comments:

  1. I have to say that I probably prefer paperbacks/hardbacks, simply because I like to have physical evidence of the things I love ;D I love seeing my hundreds of books sitting around the place, it makes me incredibly happy!

    But I also love my Kindle for the reasons you said, too. I love how I can get books for super cheap (I bought one for a dollar this morning, that I nearly bought for $15 at the bookstore the other day!), and that they are instantly delivered (waiting for my bookish purchases to arrive causes me pain).

    I also like how it allows me to read e-ARCs from publishers I might not have had the chance to receive otherwise because of my location.

    Having an ereader (I actually have two! Kindle and Kobo) has been really important for me when it comes to book blogging in general. It's just made a lot of things easier.

    And if I didn't have one, there are novellas and indie books I never would have discovered otherwise, which would have been super sad.

    Lovely post, Annie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; If it's a book/series that has a nice cover or is one of my favorites, then I'll buy the print version, and sometimes the Kindle version as well! I think there are even a couple books that I have in print, Kindle, and Audible, which is kind of going overboard, I think... XD

      You have a good point about e-ARCs and novellas! Since I'm pretty new to the book blogging community, I haven't gotten into ARCs yet, but I recently read Glitches by Marissa Meyer, which is a Lunar Chronicles novella that's only available on Wattpad and Kindle! Marissa Meyer has quite a few little novellas that are only available in ebook form :)

      Delete
  2. I think physical books will always be my first love, but all the same, there's something about my Kindle that I simply adore - perhaps it's the convenience of it? I tend to read most of my classics on Kindle (and then save up + buy a beautiful hardcover version, if it's one of my favourites), and I can't count the number of lovely indie books I've discovered simply through a lazy afternoon browsing the store. Truly, I feel like the dichotomy between Kindle/physical books is so unnecessary - why can't we have them both, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kindles are great for classics! I read Les Miserables (or at least 3/4 of it XD) on my Kindle and I'm so glad I didn't have to lug it around everywhere I went.

      Exactly! To each their own! :D

      Delete
  3. I have had a Kindle for years but don't use it much to be honest. I always wish I could get into reading ebooks more, because, as you say, there are so many advantages. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck with my illogical love of physical books though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand...print books are wonderful as well c:

      Delete
  4. What a great post! All of your points are spot on! For me, I am definitely a physical book kind of girl, but when travelling or if I want a book really bad but can't get it in physical, I'll definitely go for the Kindle. Once again, awesome post and I love your blog! :)

    Talina @ Sassy & Dangerous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate it! Kindles are definitely great for travel :)

      Delete