Why Spoilers Aren't a Big Deal

In the process of making this post, I was trying to think of a time when part of a book I either hadn't read yet or was in the middle of reading was spoiled for me. I know it's happened at some point, but I honestly can't remember a specific example because at the end of the day, being spoiled is not the end of the world.

Before you scramble to the comments section, hear me out; in the prologue of Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare basically spoiled everything, saying:
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
Do you think anyone in the audience was disgruntled that the ending was spoiled for them? Well, there was probably at least one, but for the most part, everyone just wanted to see what would happen up to that point.

At the same time, I won't deny that spoilers are frustrating. The moment you lay your eyes on one, it feels like a surprise has been ruined for you. As soon as you get to whatever pivotal part of the book was spoiled for you, the feeling of shock and awe you would have felt is replaced with indifference.

But does that indifference affect the way you feel about the book as a whole? Sure, it's disappointing in the moment, but once you finish the book, is the fact that you were spoiled even relevant anymore?

I know this is a shorter post than usual, but I just want to serve a little food for thought and see what you think. What are your thoughts on spoilers? Does it affect how you feel about the book? Let me know in the comments!


Thanks for reading,

Annie
Indoor Sojourner
Twitter · Instagram · Goodreads · Pinterest · Bloglovin'